The Marine City Library which serves a population of over 4,500 residents got its start in 1889 through the Ladies Library Association. The first library was housed in the City Hall at Main Street and Broadway. In 1919, the City assumed responsibility for the operation of the library, and it was relocated in 1939 to the Newport Academy at Washington and Main Streets.
The Marine City Library became part of the St. Clair County Library System in 1967. A newly constructed library was opened in 1983 thanks to the generous support from Mr. and Mrs. Louis R. Miller and other donors. In October of 2010 a new wing, paid for by TIFA, was added to the building. In the spring of 2016 Branch Lead Lois Kaufman asked the Friends of the Marine City Library to consider paying for the construction of an outdoor pavilion. The plans for this pavilion where beginning to take shape when a beloved member of the community and a huge library supporter, Bob Foster, passed away. The Marine City Library received many donations in Bob's memory and when the Foster family learned about the planned pavilion they pledged to donate whatever additional funds were necessary to complete the project. The pavilion was completed on July 30, 2016 and a ribbon-cutting dedication ceremony was held that very day for the Robert M Foster Memorial pavilion. That same community spirit of giving is reflected in the dynamic library today which provides a wealth of programs and materials for the public.